Pages

Monday 6 February 2012

Contact Lenses make me grey and a random bout of idiocy

Many, many years ago (I'm not saying exactly how many!) I was a contact lense addict! They'd be in as soon as I awoke and still in the following morning (yes, I actually arrived home at the exact time my alarm went off once - what a wild child I was! not). At that point in my life, no way was I to be seen wearing my glasses by anyone! With the exception of one miserable week at work where I contracted a random bout of hayfever during the summer. I looked just like Christopher Lee out of Dracula, there was no way I could get the lenses in. Which I think says how bad it was as normally I'd manage no matter the circumstances. I once drove from Exeter to Torquay with one lense in as I'd stayed out overnight and lost one! (Shocking I know!) But it did get to the point when the Opticians threatened to take my precious lenses off me if I didn't stop wearing them so much. (What a terrifying thought!)
As it turns out, things didn't get that far as years later, after I was married, I had children!
Sleepless nights tend to put everything in perspective - or out of it, depending on the cirumstances. No way was I going to put little bits of polymer in my eyes after I'd been awake for about a month non stop! Over the following five years my opinion of my eyewear changed dramatically and by the time my youngest arrived I was not wearing lenses at all!

Anyway, in Autumn last year (I don't say autumn to sound posh but more because I can't quite remember which month it was - senior moment!) I made the bold leap into contact lense wearing again. I have to say that it was nice to have them back, even if I did keep poking myself in the eye constantly because I can't seem to break the habit of pushing my glasses up! It did however, come with one shock that I face every morning. I am putting it down to the rimmed world of my glasses keeping me safe but the first morning I looked in the mirror with my new lenses I noticed it! I was turning into Lily Munster!! Where had all those grey hairs come from, in that streak on my head! Why could I never see them before, OMG everyone had been seeing them for ages! So in some ways, perhaps my little bespectacled world was better!



I did have issues with the first couple of sets of lenses they gave me actually. Not because I couldn't see but because I couldn't get the little blighters out!! Every time I wore them, they welded themselves to my eyeballs. This was highly stressful and caused me to panic on a number of occassions. One time Mr even had to remove one for me. Talk about paranoid! I actually stopped wearing them again. On visiting for my lense check I was relieved to find that I wasn't the first to experience this and that it was the polymer that the lense was made from and not me. Phew! I am happy to say that I wasn't being totally useless and can now pop my lenses in and out like I always used to. The grey streak remains though! :(

Now, for the random bout of idiocy that I simply must share with you as I feel I may have been a total idiot for years now! I am sure my best friend won't mind me sharing this as I would think she probably still giggles about it now!

As I am a total makeup idiot (Used to look great but I think that was purely accidental and helped by a young face - unfortunately can't get away with that anymore, sigh!), in fact I'm a bit of a useless woman all round to be honest. I rarely carry a handbag, and if I do it never has 'girly' things in it. No hairbrush, no make up etc. I'm not really into shoes, clothes aren't really my thing either. I do LOVE shopping, can't deny that but I'd rather go in comet and look at gadgets than the nearest shoe shop.
But anyway, I am straying from the point. My best friend Sprinks quite often replenishes my make up bowl for Christmas, birthdays etc (as she is totally fabulous at all things girly :))
For my birthday this year she came up with yet another fantastic selection of goodies. One of them being a new foundation. Well, after a few days of using it I felt I just HAD to ask the question:

Me: I'm about to ask you a really silly question.
Me: That foundation you got me, what do I do with the stick thing?
Sprinks: Stick thing?
Me: Yep, that stick thing when you open it, do I use that to apply?
Sprinks: It has a push button top!
Me: Nope, just unscrews and has a stick
Sprinks: Have they removed the button? I'll look at mine.
Me: (Runs off to the bathroom to check)
Me: Aha!! I see now, it was stuck!

Now this is quite amusing in itself, but is made even funnier (and she doesn't actually know this bit) by the fact that for many years (probably from around 2005-08) I had a foundation that had a stick thing. Now I can't find the article in question, despite looking, and I know it sounds odd but I'm a total pack rat and never throw anything away so its bound to be around somewhere, but I have a sneaky suspicion that this one may also have had a secret missing button and nozzle somewhere. Although I can't be sure so do you think I should give myself the benefit of the doubt?

I wouldn't actually be suprised. Don't forget that we are talking about the woman who was confused at a smudge on a photograph that she was editing the other day even though she had been trying to rub a mark off her computer screen. (Her touchscreen computer screen! with the smudge tool active)








1 comment:

Unknown said...

Why isn't there a 'PMSL' reaction button! Please, please try and find your old foundation, just for giggles to see it if actually has a squirty button!
Love ya xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...